Thursday, July 26, 2012

Stranded for Days

Everyday is peppered with victories; Some are small, some are big.

Yesterday I had a fantastic story with some of the best video I've ever shot. A car was spotted 100 feet down an embankment and the driver had been stranded with it for three days. Sunday morning he was driving on a Forest Service road when he took a turn too fast and rolled his car. For three days with little or no food and water, he survived. Wednesday, he heard a car and called for help.

Severely dehydrated, he was strapped to a backboard and carried uphill to the ambulance and flown away. I was there for the story.

When the rescue became my story, I had still yet to eat anything all day. I contemplated stopping to get food to eat on the 90 minute drive to the scene. I didn't get food and it paid off. If I was three minutes later, I would have missed the patient being hauled up. Small Victory.

After interviewing the rescuers, I asked if there was a quicker way down to the valley. He mentioned some roads I had never heard of before. I didn't know where they were, but I chanced it. After ten miles through beautiful forestland, the gravel road became wider; then crossed a bridge; then another bridge, paved; then mailboxes popped up; power lines overhead; finally, homes lined the street. I saved at least 20 minutes driving back, an eternity in TV time. Small Victory.

Got a great story that reminded me why the lunchless, gray-hair-sprouting days are worth it. Big Victory.

No comments:

Post a Comment