Thursday, October 6, 2011

Steve Jobs

Like the death of a religious leader, the news of Steve Jobs' passing spread like wildfire on TV news and social media. It led our 5 newscast, less than 45 minutes after learning of the news. One friend wrote, "How is it I'm so sad about the death of someone I've never met?" She then answered herself, "Steve Jobs seemed like a truly incredible man- full of knowledge and wisdom."

What I was most fascinated by was the sweeping messages and momentos that were spreading on Twitter, Facebook, and at Apple stores across the world. Makeshift memorials and gratitude for iPods, iPhones, and laptops.


Jobs once said Apple was where Technology intersected with Liberal Arts. It seemed like every college student and professor, coffeeshop screenwriter, and tech-savvy-parent-to-be had a Mac and loved it. It helped them turn what they envisioned into something they could hold and showoff.

Jobs gave the Commencement Speech at Stanford in 2005, touching on mortality, chasing passion, and encouraged grads to "stay hungry, stay foolish." It's an inspiring, rousing 15 minutes speech and is worth the watch.

AP reporters made a plea via twitter for people to share the impact Jobs had on their life. At first glance I thought this was weird. After a moment, I realized Jobs created the easy-to-use personal computer, the basis for the software we use, and technology that redefined and pioneered several industries. Then, I thought Jobs's products did have a huge impact on me. Not because I couldn't live without my laptop or my music player. It's something deeper, I've used Apple computers almost exclusively. Apple's focus on media enabled my passion to develop and turn into a career. When I was in high school, iMovie taught me how to edit slideshows, then video. In college, Final Cut Pro opened up the world of video production. Both of those proved my passion already existed, and helped show me that I could do it day in and day out and be paid to do it. It's something I choose and wouldn't have known that I could without his innovations.

I think he's a technological legend.
But I don't know if I'd call him a hero (I've got plenty of family members who qualify).


"Sometimes life hits you in the head with a brick. Don't lose faith. I'm convinced that the only thing that kept me going was that I loved what I did. You've got to find what you love. And that is as true for your work as it is for your lovers. Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle. As with all matters of the heart, you'll know when you find it. And, like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. So keep looking until you find it. Don't settle."

No comments:

Post a Comment