Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Snowversary

Two years ago this morning, Saint Mary's and the Bay Area woke up to a winter wonderland.

It's a once-in-a-generation sight: Snow in Gael land. The last time it happened was 1971.
Monday morning at 2am, I had snowball fights with friends, took pictures in the fluffy stuff, and eventually grabbed my video camera.


30 minutes of slow motion footage was edited down to a 3-minute music video pieced together at 4am. The computer worked it's magic overnight, I uploaded to youtube at 9am, posted a link online at 9:30, took a final, and two hours later had blown through campus like an avalanche. Staff, professors, friends had seen it and passed it on.

I got emails from dozens of people. People I hadn't heard from in years, some I'd never met. Newspapers posted it.

It's the most gratifying and humbling experience of my life.

What I'm most happy about is that today Gaels current and old, staff and students, classmates and strangers can watch the video and travel back in time to the cold, snowy morning before Finals. A time when magic was not only possible; it was real.

No comments:

Post a Comment