Saturday, January 1, 2011

Drunk Driving on New Year's Eve

Not me. But a lot of other drivers did.

Many people ring in the new year with a glass of champagne. Medford Police performed high-visibility saturation patrols, making sure drivers knew they were out in the streets, enforcing the law.



I had a ride-along with a Sergeant from Medford PD. As he talked me through the symptoms of drunk driving, he found someone showing those signs.

He flashed his lights and blared his sirens, but the car didn't stop. Finally, when the driver did pull over police drew their weapons, yelling "Put your hands out the window!" "Face away from me!" "Keep your hands where I can see him!"



I was rolling the whole time. It looked like an episode of "COPS."



I asked the Sergeant how often a situation like the one I had witnessed actually happens. Casually, he said, "Maybe department wide...if you're looking at 24 hours...over the course of a month, maybe 1 or 2 times."

1 or 2 times a month? And I just happened to be in the car of the officer who initially pulled the driver over?

"You must be a lucky charm," he said. Maybe he's right.

No comments:

Post a Comment