Sunday, July 25, 2010

3 more lives

On Thursday and Friday I was surprised to learn that producers of the 5 and 6 o'clock shows wanted me to be live three times. I had just finished my first live performance the day before and while I didn't pass out or stumble completely, I certainly wasn't outstanding. So it was an unexpected honor to be live three times in four shows.

Moreover, I was going to be on a "live remote," which means I would be at some location away from the station. The added pressures that come along with being on a remote include traveling to the location, ignoring any of the distractions that could come up from being outdoors, and not having a teleprompter. I was very nervous to say the least.

Thursday at 6, I was live from the Ashland Police Department where there had been a huge drug bust the day before: http://kdrv.com/news/local/182337
Friday at 5, I was live from Medford where one of the city's departments tripled its budget to allow stores in the struggling Downtown area to repair and improve their storefronts.
Friday at 6, I was live in Downtown Medford again to introduce my package on the story: http://kdrv.com/news/local/182489

For both of the 6 shows, my story was the lead, the first story of the newscast. Also, both of those times there was a similar story that also featured a reporter in a live shot. In that situation, the producers want to tie it all together, so they create a graphic called a Triple Box.

As I was standing in front of the camera and put the IFB in my ear, I would hear the director give cues and the countdown. "90 to show"..."Minute from show"..."30 to show"..."In the ope"..."Standby Bryan"..."Camera's hot"..."Cue!".
All the while, my pulse was getting quicker and quicker. I could feel it in my neck and my head was feeling heavy. I'm sure that I would have had a red face from the nervousness if I wasn't wearing a fair amount of make-up.

Afterward I was excited and happy to have finished without any major speedbumps. Though I have a hard time watching them back now, I'm excited to keep trying them and getting better. The producers gave me the same workload as any other reporter by the end of the week, and while I've needed help to get all of my scripts and videos in on time, they're trusting me. Asking me to run while I'm still learning to walk is pushing me to get better quicker, and hopefully I am.

1 comment:

  1. Experience is the best teacher, so continue to work to improve the things you want and need to and you'll feel more comfortable and confident with each story, package and live shot. Be yourself, relax as much as you can, smile and the camera and audience will love you!

    ReplyDelete