Saturday, July 31, 2010

breaking news

After the long day of driving and rushing around on Wednesday, I go to cover my first piece of breaking news. It was about 5:45 and the police and fire scanner we have in the newsroom started buzzing.

There was a grassfire that Medford Fire Department was responding to. I had been set to front my story live in the Newsroom, but was about to be sent out to the fire. Two minutes later the scanner reported that the fire had been contained. Producers said, nevermind, don't worry about it.

I ended up fronting my story and was working at my computer when a phone call came in from the station's General Manager who was at the fire. He passed along a couple of notes and told me to get it down to the anchors right away so they could report it. Then he told me to come down to get some video. When the GM tells you to do something, you should probably do it...

I went out to the scene of the fire, shot some video as the sun was setting and crews were cleaning up the scene, and interviewed the on-duty chief.

Felt good to go out and get the story for the breaking news and have it run on the 11:00 show.

http://kdrv.com/news/local/183014

No comments:

Post a Comment