Thursday, September 30, 2010

Cardinal

I've been a passionate Stanford Cardinal fan since I was a young'n. My family and I have had a season tickets to Stanford football games for as long as I can remember. And, for me, college football and tailgating is synonymous with BBQing and throwing the football around at The Farm.

The Cardinal and I have struggled through some difficult years (I'm looking at you Buddy Teevens and Walt Harris) but the Jim Harbough era has been a different story, especially this year.

I've been watching as much of the Cardinal's games as possible and think this new team is something special. And a lot of people are taking notice. On Saturday, Stanford will play Oregon in Eugene. College Gameday will be there, the game will be the primetime game on ABC, and many articles have been written about the new-look Cardinal and Harbough's effect on the team.

Two have stood out to me.

The first as about Stanford's leader, Owen Marecic. He plays fullback. And inside linebacker. Starting in both positions. He is a true athlete. This article about Marecic was in Sports Illustrated last week and praised his effort and skill. I'm glad that I get SI in the mail now. In the past, I would read the magazine after my Grandpa, Ben Camera, had finished reading them. It was a nice tradition to get a stack of SI magazines. However, he is a Cal fan and I'm not 100% sure that when I got that issue, the Marecic article would have still been in the mag. Just kidding, he knows a good football team and good player when he sees one.




Stanford Football: Character, Cruelty
I'm not sure how I feel about the new Cardinal. They're merciless. They go for the kill. They wear black. They're almost a villain team.



This isn't the Stanford I'm used to, but it's a Stanford I'll continue to root for.

2 comments:

  1. Nice! Let's hope the ducks are Cardinal roadkill on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grandpa, like Marecic, played both offense and defense when he was in high school and perhaps even in JC. He was a star quarterback for four years in high school, leading his team to championships and an undefeated season, but also played defense, as a safety or defensive back. I am sure he understands what a grueling job it is to play both sides of the ball, especially in this modern football age. Nice to see you giving "props" to Grandpa. He is one of your biggest fans and reads your blog every day!!!

    ReplyDelete