Saturday, August 14, 2010

Staying Local

Every day that I work I try to be successful.

Some days success means getting good shots out of a story that doesn't have good visual opportunities.
Some days it means getting to the bottom of a story and then telling it well.
Some days it means making a not-immediately-entertaining story entertaining.

For the past few days, I wanted to be successful at managing my time.

Every day there is a race against the clock. Getting the story, getting the video, getting to the second story, getting back to the station, cutting video, logging interviews, writing stories, re-editing video, getting to live shots. Every day the show will start right at 5 and 6 and being late is unacceptable, so you have to manage your time and be as efficient as possible without skipping any details.

Driving to Ashland is at least 20 minutes each way, and Grants Pass is more than 30 minutes each way. That time really adds up and makes that deadline come much quicker.



Luckily, three of my four stories Thursday and Friday were in Medford and I was able to use that extra time to make my videos and scripts a little better.

Also, it helped keep my stress levels a bit lower. I've already got about a dozen grey hairs above my hairs. I'd like to keep that number as low as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment